GCSE (9-1) Business Spec
GCSE (9-1) Business Spec
Qualification aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of this qualification are to enable students to:
- Know and understand business concepts, business terminology, business objectives, the integrated nature of business activity and the impact of business on individuals and wider society.
- Apply knowledge and understanding to contemporary business issues and to different types and sizes of businesses in local, national and global contexts.
- Develop as enterprising individuals with the ability to think commercially and creatively to demonstrate business acumen, and draw on evidence to make informed business decisions and solve business problems.
- Develop as effective and independent students, and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to make informed judgements.
- Investigate and analyse real business opportunities and issues to construct well-argued, well-evidenced, balanced and structured arguments, demonstrating their depth and breadth of understanding of business.
- Develop and apply quantitative skills relevant to business, including using and interpreting data.
Through studying this qualification students will:
- Apply knowledge and understanding to different business contexts. These include businesses ranging from small enterprises to large multinationals and businesses operating in local, national and global contexts.
- Develop an understanding of how these contexts impact on business behaviour.
- Use business terminology to identify and explain business activity.
- Apply business concepts to familiar and unfamiliar contexts.
Business decision making Through studying this qualification students will:
- Apply knowledge and understanding to business decision making, including: o the interdependent nature of business activity, influences on business, business operations, finance, marketing and human resources; and how these interdependencies underpin business decision making o how different business contexts affect business decisions o the use and limitation of quantitative and qualitative data in making business decisions.
- Develop problem-solving and decision-making skills relevant to business.
- Investigate, analyse and evaluate business opportunities and issues.
- Make justified decisions using both qualitative and quantitative data, including its selection, interpretation, analysis and evaluation, and the application of appropriate quantitative skills.